06 Feb Tips: Reasons to Workout
I confess... I'm a user. I read the tabloids.
The other day at the nail salon, i read a surprising article on Jessica Simpson. She looks so squeaky clean, yet she stated that she "doesn't brush her teeth everyday but rather, uses a t-shirt and brushes only a few times per week!? Among other things such as proudly belching the alphabet and other bodily functions that even grossed out my 3 year old. What???? So gross. Way TMI, by beautiful singer/actress/million dollar babe.
On "Kiana's Flex Appeal" I often state, "You should workout everyday just as you brush your teeth everyday." Guess that doesn't apply to JS. I will now modify my statement: "You should exercise everyday AND brush your teeth everyday." Too funny.
Sometimes the most challenging part of working out is getting started. 99% of the time once you do your first stretch, go for a jog, do a repetition or take 1 step on the treadmill, you feel great. So how to we stop procrastinating and just workout?
Here are your Motivate Monday 20 Tips to get your butt in the gym and/or workout at home:
- Age Smage: Fitness is the fountain of youth. Strengthen your bones. Slow the aging process.
- Fit Friends: Schedule a workout with a friend: if you know someone is waiting for you, you'll be more likely to go and train
- Hire a personal trainer: if you're paying for their expertise & time, you'll go.
- Bribe yourself: if you go to the gym 5 days this week, you can get __________.
- Baby steps: make realistic goals. Try and go to the gym 1 day per week and walk 3 days per week. Amp it up to 2 times per week, 3, 4, etc.
- Just go: Just stop thinking about it and just go. Do you think about perhaps not brushing your teeth? Hope not.
- Dress for success: Buy a new workout outfit. If you look neat and put together, you get a better workout. Dress the part.
- Social: Go to the gym at the time when most people go with similar interests: early a.m.=moms. 5pm on=after work crowd.
- Stimulate: Take a new group exercise class: challenge yourself, try something new, stimulate your body and mind.
- Make it Fun: Do your favorite workout first: if you love training shoulders, start with that. If you love the endorphin rush of jogging on the treadmill, start there.
- De Stress: Exercise will help you feel less stressed, be more patient, focused and happier.
- Muscle: Lifting weights increases lean muscle mass. More muscle will cause your body to burn more calories even while you're sleeping.
- Positive reinforcement: set goals for yourself. If you lose X number of lbs. or go to the gym faithfully you will treat yourself to ________.
- Sleep on it: Exercise helps you sleep better.
- Appearance: Exercise will increase core strength which will improve your posture. Proper posture can literally take inches off the appearance of your waist and make you appear taller.
- Kid in a candy store: state of the art equipment, machines and free weights are fun. Try it all!
- Choices: Exercising makes for better choices throughout the day.
- Model: You are a role model for your family, kids, friends. Be the fit one they want to emulate.
- Best reason: you will live improve your overall health and well being. You will strengthen the most important muscle in your body, your heart.